Child Care Resource and Referral at John A. Logan College Back to JALC

Paying for Child Care

Paying for child care can be difficult, but CCR&R may be able to help if…

  • Parents/Guardians are IL residents and
  • Parents/ Guardians are currently employed or enrolled in approved education and training and
  • Family income does not exceed 185% of current federal poverty level and
  • Children are under the age of 13

CCR&R administers the Illinois Department of Human Service's (IDHS) Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) to families in southern Illinois. This program provides low-income, working families with access to quality, affordable child care. This child care allows them to continue working and/or complete their education. All families are required to cost-share on a sliding scale based on family size, and income.

Income Guidelines

Use this eligibility calculator to see if your family might be income eligible

The following sources of income are included in determining eligibility for the CCAP program.

  • Gross wages and salary;
  • Net income from farm self-employment;
  • Net income from non-farm self-employment;
  • Dividends, interest, net rental income, and royalties;
  • Pensions and annuities;
  • Alimony;
  • Child support received by the family;
  • Ongoing monthly adoption assistance payments from DCFS;
  • Veteran's pensions;
  • Unemployment compensation;
  • Worker's compensation;
  • Public assistance and welfare payments;
  • Social security payments for all family members, including SSI and pensions;
  • Survivor's benefits, permanent disability payments, and railroad retirement benefits from the federal government.

Approved Education or Training Programs

Families may be approved for child care assistance to complete their education or training program.

Approved education or training includes:

  • Completing a high school degree, Adult Education Program, GED Program, English as a Second Language program; OR
  • Receiving TANF cash assistance from the state and enrolled in an approved education / training program
  • Attending a 2 yr or 4 year college and have not yet achieved an Associates or Bachelor's degree

It's Easy to Apply

To receive assistance families must submit a completed application and the required supporting documents to CCR&R. There are several ways you can get an application:

  • Complete the online forms request
  • Call CCR&R at 1-800-548-5563 and request that an application be mailed to you
  • Come to CCR&R office in person an pick up and application
  • Pick up an application from your local Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS) office
  • Ask your provider for an application. Many providers keep a supply of applications on hand for families
  • Click here to print an application

Completing the application

  • Check to make sure all blanks are filled in completely. Forms not being complete and/or necessary documentation not being included will cause a delay in processing applications. When this happens, additional information will be requested by mail and must be received before the application can be processed.
  • Attach copies of current, consecutive paystubs, or a completed wage verification form or cash payment form. A wage verification form is accepted only for new jobs(less than 30 days)
  • If attending an education or training program, include a copy of the official school schedule with your name.
  • Be sure to complete the provider section on the application with the provider. An application cannot be approved without the provider section being completed.

Mail the completed application, work and/or school documentation to CCR&R. Forms can also be dropped off at the CCR&R office. For your convenience, CCR&R has an after hours drop box in their parking lot.

How Long Does it Take?

Once received, CCR&R Case Managers will review and take action on your application within 10 business days. Action that can be taken includes an Approval, a Denial or a Request for Additional Information. Written notice of this action will be sent to both the parent and the child care provider.

Important Tip: Families should pay the provider "out of pocket" or as much as possible until they receive written notice of an approval.

How the Programs Works

Currently there is no waiting list for the Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP). If a family meets the program's eligibility requirements and all appropriate forms are turned in, they are approved. Payments are available for full-time and part-time care as well as for before and after school.

All parents/families pay a portion of the cost as a co-payment. The amount of the family's co-payment is based on income, and family size.

Once a family has been approved for child care assistance, both the family and their provider will receive an approval letter. This letter contains important information including:

  • The length of time the family is approved for the program;
  • The amount of the co-payment paid by the family each month (your share of the cost of child care);
  • The children who are eligible for the program;
  • The number of days per week that IDHS will pay for child care;
  • The daily rate at which your provider will be paid.

Each time an approval letter is received, both the family and provider should read it carefully because the monthly co-payment amount is listed along with the beginning and ending dates of the eligibility period. The monthly "co-payment" is the portion of the child care costs that the family must pay the provider each month. By paying a monthly co-payment, families are contributing toward their child's quality child care.

Parent /Family Responsibilities

  • To pay their child care provider at the agreed upon time the monthly co-payment amount that has been assigned.
  • To notify CCR&R in writing 10 calendar days if there are any changes in their family's situation.
    This includes change in any of the following: a job or your school/training program (Losing a job, change in shift or worked hours, stop working, stop attending school or training, drop/ add a class that changes school hours), a change of address/ moving, a change in phone number, a change in family size (birth/ death/ adoption/ foster placement/divorce/ marriage/ legal separation), a change in income (start or stop receiving TANF, child support, SSI, SSA, and other cash benefits).
  • Give their provider a minimum of two weeks' notice if they intend to change providers
  • Notify CCR&R in writing using the CCAP Provider Change/Add form as soon as you have made a decision to change providers.

Frequently Asked Questions

How long does it take for a new Child Care Application to get approved?
It takes approximately 10 business days from the time we receive a COMPLETE child care application with necessary documents for the Case Manager to issue an approval or denial letter. A COMPLETE application means that the application is completely filled out, including all signatures, and all documents needed to verify school enrollment or employment have been submitted.

Can you explain the Billing Process?

  1. Your provider fills out and mails the monthly Child Care Certificate to CCR&R after parent signs approving times claimed or calls 1-800-804-3833 to report electronically.
  2. CCR&R Data Clerks receive billing certificate and enters it into the system within 5 business days.
  3. The information is then transferred electronically to the voucher unit in Springfield.
  4. The voucher unit reviews and confirms information.
  5. The information is then transferred to the Comptroller's office.
  6. The Comptroller's office prints, cuts, and mails the checks.
  7. The entire process can take as long as 30 days from when the certificate is entered.

When will the provider get paid?
Once approved, the provider will receive a billing form called a Child Care Certificate the last week of every month. Once the provider completes and returns the Certificate (after the service month is over), the provider will receive payment within 30 days. (The Certificate cannot be accepted until after completion of last day of care is provided during that month) or until the 1st day of the following month.

If a provider has already completed a W9 form once, will they ever have to do it again?
Yes, even if you have submitted a W9 form, you may have to submit a new one if you change your name or upon special request.

Are taxes deducted from payments?
No, providers are considered self-employed. At the beginning of the following year they will receive a 1099 form, which will report their earnings for the year. This information must be used to report income on their tax return.

Can the state automatically take taxes out of my monthly checks?
No, you will receive a form from Springfield at the beginning of the following year that will include your earnings to assist you with filling your income taxes.

Why does the provider's certificate get returned to them some months?
There are several reasons. If the certificate is received at our office before the first day of the next month, it will be returned. The provider must wait until the month is over to complete the form so they can accurately report the number of days the child attended. The Certificate will also be returned if it is not filled out correctly or if the information submitted is not clear.

How should a provider bill for care if the information on the Certificate does not match the child's schedule?
Bill for the actual time the child attended. If there are any mistakes, cross out the wrong information and list the correct information. DO NOT USE WHITEOUT. Please list an explanation on the certificate form for any information that you change. If needed, attach a separate sheet of paper. Remember, if the parent's schedule has changed, the parent must notify us of those changes before any adjustments can be made to the payments.

When can question about billing be answered?
Not before the 21st of the month.

How long does it take to get payment from Springfield?
Approximately 30 days.

What are two current check stubs?
The two check stubs should be the most recent "back to back" pay stubs that each parent received from their current employment. The stubs can be no older than 30 days prior to when we receive a family's paperwork, unless the parent is paid on a monthly basis.

If I am a teen parent living at home with my parents, do I count myself and the baby as a family size of two or can we be counted as a family size of four?
A teen parent and his/her children are the only ones counted in the family size, unless the teen parent is supporting the grandparents.

What do I need to fill out if I am found over income?
You many either send in a REDETERMINATION form with 3 consecutive check stubs that will be averaged with the two previous stubs or the parent can re-apply when they have two consecutive check stubs that do not put them over income.

How many days do I have to notify you when I lose my job or have a new job?
You must notify us on any changes with your case within 10 calendar days.

How many days do I have to notify you when I cancel out a provider and add a new one?
10 calendar days.

Who gets the co-payment when I have two providers?
The provider receiving the largest reimbursement.

Why was there money taken out of the provider's check?
Each parent is assigned a 'co-payment' that they are responsible for paying to the provider. This amount is automatically deducted from the providers check before the check is issued. In addition if he provider is a family child care, union dues will also be deducted ( either fair share or member rates)

Can I charge the parent more than what the state will pay?
A provider can charge the parent the same amount as they charge their private pay clients - however the state will only pay the maximum amount set by the state. If a provider charges more than the state amount, the provider will need to contract with the parent to make up the difference.

How long will it be before my provider gets his/her check?
This depends on whether the provider has ever been paid by the state before and how quickly the parent returns all information to us. A brand new provider must fill out a W-9 form which, when received by CCR&R, is forwarded to the Comptroller Office. They must verify the information and then certify the W-9. A provider cannot be paid until his/her W-9 is certified.

What is FT and PT care?
FT - full time - a parent's child care need is for 5 or more hours a day.
PT - part time - a parent's child care need is for less than 5 hours a day.

When can I expect my Child Care Certificate?
Your Child Care Billing Certificate should be issued to you after the 21st of each month. You may return a completed Certificate for entry on the last day of the month. Any certificates received before the last day of the month will not be accepted and will be returned.

Why was I not paid for the number of days I listed on my Billing Certificate?
The eligible days are based on the client's check stubs and the number of hours the client works. If you claim more days than they are approved for, you will not be paid for the extra days unless the client can verify in writing additional days worked.

What is an RPY?
Representative Payee - a person (not the parent or step-parent) responsible for the cash grant of the children.

Whom do I call if I have question?
Call the CCR&R CCAP Department at 800-548-5563, or locally call 985-5975. When you call, please have the parent's name and case number available as well as. Also, please have any forms or letters with you about which you are calling.

Tax Information

Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit: Helps families pay for child care for children under the age of 13, if the parents are working. Parents who are full-time students can also claim the credit. Qualifying care includes child care centers, family child care homes, and care provided by paid friends or relatives -- as long as the relative is not a dependent of the taxpayer. The size of the credit depends on the number of children in care, your family income, and the amount you paid for child care during the tax year. There are limits on the credit given for one child, and two or more children.

Earned Income Tax Credit: A refundable tax credit for low and moderate income families but particularly for those with children. The EITC is based on family income and the number of children in the family. Both single and two parent families are entitled to the credit, as long as one parent is employed. (A number of states have their own Earned Income Tax Credits; check with your state department of revenue for more information)

Parent and teacher in classroom

The cost of child care continues to increase while families struggle to afford quality care. During FY 11, 3,485 families in southern Illinois received assistance in paying their child care costs.